If you have a fear of spiders, every corner-hugging spider, no matter the species, probably seems out to get you. At least, that’s what your brain is telling you. Fortunately, in the United States and Texas, our native spiders are mostly harmless.
While there are a few species you should keep an eye on, there’s no need to stay up at night worrying about where that spider went when it crawled down the wall. Keep reading for more information about Texas spiders, common types of house spiders in your area, and how to deter and get rid of spiders in and around your home.
What Kind Of Spiders Might I Encounter In New Braunfels?
The more areas with suitable shelter and access to food and water, the more spiders there will be. This isn’t a bad thing, however. While this might make spiders more numerous, this doesn’t increase the number of species you should watch out for, as there are only two dangerous species of spiders in Texas.
Some of the most common spiders you might see in and around homes in New Braunfels include cellar spiders, wolf spiders, jumping spiders, and the more dangerous brown recluse and black widow spiders.
Are Most House Spiders Dangerous?
Most house spiders are harmless, but they can still bite or put unsightly webs all over your home. Wolf spiders are one spider that is essentially harmless but can be alarming. Wolf spiders do not make webs to trap their prey; instead, they chase them down as a true predator might. They can grow quite large, and their bite can cause localized pain and inflammation. However, these bites are not considered medically significant, and the symptoms subside relatively quickly.
Other common house spiders like jumping spiders and house spiders are not as likely to bite. Many of them cannot bite due to the size of their fangs. All spiders, including the ones that cannot hurt you, are venomous and use their venom to subdue their prey.
However, the only two you have to worry about in New Braunfels are black widows and brown recluses:
- Black Widow Spiders. Black widows prefer dark, undisturbed garage corners or woodpiles. The more dangerous female is a shiny black with a large rounded abdomen. Their legs are thick and pointed, and of course, you can see a yellowish to red hourglass on their abdomens. Black widow webs are often messy.
- Brown Recluse Spiders. The brown recluse is also a shy, non-aggressive spider most likely found in woodpiles, under rocks, or in cardboard boxes. They are a relatively uniform color of brown, though their legs may be slightly darker than their bodies, and they may have a light tan color on their abdomen that is different from their thorax. They do not have any striping. Brown recluse spiders may have a darker brown violin shape behind their heads.
If you suspect a bite from either of these dangerous spiders, it is vital to seek immediate medical attention.
Five Ways To Deter Spiders In New Braunfels
Whether you’re hoping to get rid of harmless spiders giving you scares around the house or are hoping to keep out the more dangerous species, the best way to get rid of spiders naturally is with prevention and home maintenance.
Spiders are attracted to your home for one reason only: they want to eat the bugs that are already inside. That means spider prevention goes hand in hand with pest prevention in general. Try these expert prevention tips to deter spiders from coming inside:
- Regularly remove webs, inside and out.
- Mow your lawn often.
- Repair leaking pipes, clogged gutters, or landscaping issues that allow water to collect.
- Store outdoor trash in a clean, sealed container away from the home.
- Don’t store firewood next to the home.
As a general tip, spiders love insects that are attracted to food crumbs and spills including ants, cockroaches, and flies. Keeping your home clean and sanitized is a great defense against insects and spiders alike.
Total Spider Control For Your Home Or Business
A little TLC around your home and yard can go a long way to preventing spiders and their pest prey. However, if you have an existing spider problem and need help getting rid of them fast, you can trust Gold Star Exterminators.
Whether you need a one-time service or would like to enroll in a program with regular visits that would keep your home safe for months and years to come, we have a pest control plan for you. At Gold Star Exterminators, pest control isn’t just pest treatment. We are so confident in our services that they come with a warranty. For spider pest control treatments in New Braunfels you can count on, call Gold Star Exterminators today.