House mice are the most common mammal in the United States, so it’s no surprise that mouse infestations are so prevalent in New Braunfels. Mice reproduce rapidly, with females able to give birth to up to 150 offspring a year. Spotting one or two mice in your home is a surefire sign that there will be many more to come.
It’s important to take steps to get rid of house mice as soon as you become aware of them, as they may expose you to diseases and damage property. Knowing the warning signs of a mouse infestation is the first step toward protecting yourself from these pests. Let’s dive in!
Signs Of Mice In Your New Braunfels Home
Mice can be very elusive due to their small size and quiet nature. They can often live undetected in homes for long periods, especially if you don’t know the signs of mice. Even if you never lay eyes on the rodents themselves, there are several key indications that mice are living among you.
Here are some telltale signs of a mouse problem:
- Rod-shaped droppings with pointed ends
- Greasy rub marks left on walls due to their oily fur
- Gnaw marks on walls, food packaging, or other items
- A foul odor from mouse urine
- Tracks and runways - mice will often use the same routes to travel from their nest to food sources, leaving footprints, droppings, urine stains, etc.
- Nests made from paper, insulation, and fabric
- Scratching or scurrying noises
House mice and other common species will typically eventually make themselves known through these signs. If you suspect that your home has a mouse infestation, professional mouse control treatments will be able to get rid of mice safely and effectively.
The Problems Mice Can Cause In Your New Braunfels Home
Mice are often viewed as merely a nuisance, but the reality is much more serious. Not only will mice eat your food and damage property, but they also pose a health hazard.
In their search for food and nesting materials, mice will gnaw through any material they can. They can do serious damage to drywall, wood, clothes, furniture, and more. They will even chew on electrical wires which can create a fire hazard. Mice will also gnaw on food containers and contaminate the contents.
Even more concerningly, mice are transmitters of numerous human pathogens. Different kinds of mice carry different diseases. House mice, the most prevalent species, carry salmonellosis, leptospirosis, tularemia, and lymphocytic choriomeningitis. White-footed mice and deer mice can expose you to the potentially fatal hantavirus. Mice may be small and cute, but they are also a serious threat to your health, which is why mouse control is very important.
The Safest Way To Eliminate Mice In Your New Braunfels Home
Mice are a challenging pest to eliminate from your home. Many homeowners attempt to handle the infestation on their own, but this is typically not as effective or safe as professional treatment. Some methods of DIY mouse control, such as the use of traps and poisons, can even be hazardous. For the safest, most effective rodent control in New Braunfels, contact the professionals at Gold Star Exterminators.
Gold Star Exterminators has served New Braunfels, TX with quality pest control solutions since 1979. We have experience with all kinds of mice, and will safely eliminate them from your property. Our experts will thoroughly inspect and treat your property for mice, leaving it rodent-free in no time. If you are concerned about mice in your home, don’t hesitate to call Gold Star Exterminators for an inspection today.
Natural Ways To Keep Mice Away From Your New Braunfels Home
While mouse control should always be handled by professionals, mouse prevention starts with you. The best way to keep mice away from your New Braunfels home is to deter them from entering in the first place. Here are some simple, natural ways you can prevent mice in the future:
- Mice can fit through openings as small as a dime. Inspect your home for any small cracks or holes and seal them with caulk.
- Install screens on windows, vents, and chimney openings.
- Store trash in sealed containers and dispose of it frequently.
- Keep your kitchen clean - wipe down counters, clean floors, wash dishes promptly, etc.
- Store food in sealed containers and up off the floor.
- Address any moisture issues in your home, such as leaky pipes.
- Declutter your home, especially basements, attics, and storage areas.
- Keep firewood at least 20 feet away from your house.
- Keep your yard free of debris.
These simple steps can go a long way towards keeping mice out of your home. Maintaining a clean, secure home is the best way to keep mice away, but if you do identify mice on your property, be sure to call the experts at Gold Star Exterminators.