They crawl around in your garage. They hang out in your shed. They lurk in your attic spaces. We're talking about spiders. These eight-legged critters are common pests in New Braunfels and they can creep you out of house and home. If you are of the opinion that outdoor spiders need to stay outdoors, then you'll like what we're going to be sharing with you today. Let's take a look at a few spiders you should know about, what dangers they present, and what works best for keeping spiders in New Braunfels from getting into your home.
The Types Of Spiders You May Find In Your New Braunfels Home
The most common spiders you'll see are American spiders, also known as common house spiders. As you can probably guess, this is because you live in America and these spiders are common. It is important to note that these are not outdoor spiders. They don't do well outside. Some live for only a short time when you catch them and put them outdoors. This may be why American spiders lay more than 250 eggs at a time. Most of the spiderlings will not be viable.
- Wolf Spiders. If you see a hairy spider in your home, it is likely to be a wolf spider. If you're bitten by one of these spiders, which is unlikely, it will feel like a pinprick, but you shouldn't have medical symptoms. These hunter spiders don't make webs, and they hang out in humid spaces to catch prey.
- Black Widow Spiders. These spiders need no introduction. While not anywhere near as common as American house spiders, they are famous for their venom. Fortunately, they don't prefer to be indoors. When they get in, in many cases, they go back outside.
- Brown Recluse Spiders. Like black widow spiders, these spiders are also known for their strong venom, which can cause necrosis. Of all the types of spiders in New Braunfels, this is the worst. Well, sorta. Brown recluse spiders can get into your home and they do very well as indoor spiders, but they rarely bite, despite what you may have heard. Most necrotic bites that are blamed on brown recluse spiders are usually yellow sac spider bites.
Is It Dangerous To Have Spiders In My New Braunfels Home?
In most cases, a spider will only leave an itchy red bump on your skin. This bump may have an ulcer at the center if the spider has venom with necrotic properties. Poisonous spiders in New Braunfels can also leave a minor wound. Black widow bites can be dry bites, which means no venom is injected, and only a small percentage of brown recluse bites have spreading necrosis. It is still best to be cautious if you find any of these poisonous spiders crawling around on your New Braunfels property or spiders in your house.
Effective Spider Prevention Tips For Your New Braunfels Home
Now that we've talked about the spiders you may see in your home and the dangers they present, let's specifically discuss how you can prevent them from getting inside and presenting a danger to you.
- American Spiders. One way to keep spiders out of your home is to remove eggs and egg sacs, this is particularly important for these common spiders. If you remove webs when you see them, you can significantly reduce the number of viable spiders that continue to crawl around inside your home.
- Wolf Spiders. These spiders are attracted to damp conditions. If you have a moisture problem that creates standing water near your home, or you have yard debris that creates damp habitats, you'll have more of these spiders near your home. This increases the chances that you'll have them getting into your home. Reduce these spiders by cleaning your gutters, fixing broken gutters, and removing leaves, sticks, and other organic debris.
- Black Widow Spiders. These spiders hide under brush piles and in other clutter. If you remove organic debris and get rid of objects in your yard that don't need to be out there, you can deter these spiders. It also pays to invest in residential pest control for these spiders. They come into your yard to feed on the bugs and mammals that come into your yard. A good pest control program can reduce spiders and the food source spiders eat.
- Brown Recluse Spiders. These spiders can get into your home from the outside, but they also hitchhike into homes. If you hope to keep them out of your home, not only do you need to seal entry points in your exterior, but you also need to inspect furniture items that are brought into your home.
The Best Control For Spiders & Their Pest Prey In New Braunfels
If you want to see fewer, or no, spiders in your house, the best way to get control of them is to contact Gold Star Exterminators. Our service team not only exterminates spiders but also uses modern pest management methods to keep spiders and other pests out of your home. Reach out to us today to learn more about our pest control treatments for New Braunfels spiders or to schedule service.