Having a termite problem is more than just having termites. These destructive pests can cause property damage, emotional distress, and financial insecurity, and as they grow and create new colonies, they can cause all of these problems for your neighbors as well. However, those who own properties and worry about termites aren’t defenseless against them.
Learning about termites and how to defend yourself from them can save you thousands of dollars and years of damage. Keep reading for more information about Texas termites and the damage they can do, how to prevent them, and the best termite control in New Braunfels.
What Do Termites Look Like?
There are several different kinds of termites in Central Texas, but the most common species is the Eastern subterranean termite. Subterranean termites are creamy-white to dark brown, depending on their role in the caste system.
- Winged reproductives, also called alates or termite swarmers, have darker bodies than their fellow colony members. They are typically between ¼ to ½ an inch in length.
- Workers are smaller at about ¼ of an inch or less and lighter in color. They are the most common kind of termite in the colony. They have small jaws to help them chew through wood.
- Soldiers also have light-colored bodies, but their heads are darker, and they have easily distinguishable mandibles that they use to fight off predators and intruders. Their bodies are also wider and flatter than the others.
Termite identification is the best way to assess the risk to your home, but depending on the type of termite, you’ll have to know where to look in order to find them.
What Is The Best Way To Identify Termite Damage?
When looking for subterranean termite damage, start in the areas where previous water damage may have occurred. If you have wood touching soil, that is your number one most likely entry point. Some examples of wood that may be near enough to the soil to have a higher risk of infestation include patios, decks, window sills, wooden siding, door frames, and support beams in your basement.
If you’ve found risk areas, look for these warning signs of termites in New Braunfels:
- Mud tubes reaching from the soil to the wood
- Soft, rotting wood that splinters when prodded
- Swollen window and door frames that are difficult to open or close
- Paint peeling, discoloration, or darkening of the wood
- Piles of feces that resemble sawdust
- Discarded wings near windows, doors, or holes in the wood
Due to their dependence on moisture in the soil, subterranean termites are easier to identify than other species; however, no termites are easy to locate. A professional can help you check for the signs of a termite infestation.
Is There A Way To Prevent Termites For Good?
The best termite protection in New Braunfels is with professional pest control; however, there are a few things you can do to prevent termites from finding your home attractive. To avoid having to call pest control, treat exposed wood, keep at least 8 inches of distance between soil and exterior wood, replace rotting or damaged wood, and maintain proper moisture levels in your soil, basement, and crawlspaces.
Studies have shown that subterranean termites thrive in moist conditions. While you want your lawn to be thick and luscious, if you’re overwatering or your soil is soggy, you’re asking for termites to wiggle on over to your place. If you’re unsure how to manage the moisture levels of your soil or want tips on how to make pest control treatment stick with home maintenance and prevention practices, your local pest control professional can advise you.
Professional Termite Control In New Braunfels
Getting professional help with termite prevention and termite treatment is essential for controlling a termite problem. With Gold Star Exterminators, you can have timely, safe, and effective treatment that will make your termite worries a thing of the distant past.
With over 55 years of experience, we are confident in our ability to serve the community and provide high-quality pest control guaranteed for 60 days. At Gold Star Exterminators, you can choose a package that works for the needs of your home and your budget.
No matter which plan you choose, we will back our pest-free guarantee with follow-up visits at no extra cost to you. Don’t wait if you suspect termites. Call Gold Star Exterminators today and save yourself (and your neighbors) thousands in home repairs.