New Braunfels Property Owners’ Complete Guide To Flea & Tick Control
March 24, 2022
New Braunfels is in the heart of Texas Hill Country, and if you are an outdoor enthusiast, there is plenty to keep you occupied. Fishing, horseback riding, snorkeling, camping, and boating are just a few activities people can enjoy. All things outdoors may seem fun while participating in these activities, but if folks aren’t careful, they may bring back some unwanted pests that will necessitate the use of a pest control company in the New Braunfels area.
How To Know If You Should Worry About Fleas And Ticks On Your Property
Fleas and ticks in New Braunfels live primarily outdoors. Since they are experts at entering properties, property owners should be aware of signs of a flea or tick problem.
Two factors contributing to fleas and ticks becoming worrisome around your property include:
- Transporters – Areas prone to an abundance of wildlife can help usher both fleas and ticks to your property. Animals such as foxes, deer, squirrels, rabbits, and skunks can be the vehicles fleas/ticks ride on to reach your property. Your family pet is usually the one who ends up bringing these pesky critters inside; however, they can also attach themselves to shoes and clothing.
- Surroundings – Fleas and ticks are known to hang out in grassy meadows, woodpiles, leaf litter, woods, weeds, shrubs, bushes, and decks. These pests are often “dropped off” by their transporters and wait for unsuspecting hosts to take them to their new destinations (which is usually your building).
How Fleas and Ticks Are Similarly Dangerous
Whether you are battling fleas or ticks, both can bring serious health risks to your property; therefore, flea and tick protection is vital. While fleas are more generally associated with pets, people can also be affected by them; consequently, you must become aware of the dangers they bring to properties.
Fleas are associated with the following health risks:
- Bubonic plague
- Murine typhus
Skin irritations/scratching lead to medical problems and veterinary problems with pets.
There are a whole host of health risks depending on the tick species. Some more commonly known health risks are as follows:
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Lyme disease
Natural Ways To Make Your Property Less Attractive To Fleas and Ticks
The best way to keep fleas and ticks away from your property is by ensuring the outside is in good shape and that your pet has received veterinarian-approved flea and tick protection. Simple natural steps can lessen your property’s attractiveness to fleas and ticks.
Seven natural ways to protect your yard from unwanted fleas and ticks include the following:
- Cut your grass low (especially around sheds, shrubs, trees, fence lines, swing sets, etc.)
- Get rid of yard debris like leaf litter, woodpiles, and weeds where mice like to nest.
- Keep outside garbage tightly sealed; don’t tempt critters to visit your property.
- Trim back any excess overgrowth and plants.
- Remove bird feeders (seeds attract deer mice).
- Always clean rugs, furniture, and bedding regularly.
- Frequently wash pet bedding, jackets, and harnesses.
The Best Way To Keep Fleas and Ticks Away From Your Property
Gold Star Exterminators has provided dependable pest control for over 40 years, and our pest control services are the best way to keep pests away from your property. Whether you need your home protected or your business, Gold Star Exterminators is committed to meeting your specific needs. We offer various pest control services that will thoroughly eliminate and prevent future pest invasions. Call Gold Star Exterminators today for dependable pest control services that are “golden.”