Should I Be Worried About Termite Swarmers In New Braunfels?
April 25, 2022
When we think of pests, we often think of the kinds that make a mess of our attics and garages and chew through our precious items. Sometimes we imagine them chewing through our food containers and even transmitting harmful diseases to us. However, we often forget about that one, quiet, sneaky pest, the one that reminds us why pest control in New Braunfels is so important — termites. Quiet and difficult to identify, these pests can cause irreversible damage, making your home unsafe to live in because they have compromised its structural integrity. Read on to learn about termite swarmers, and how Gold Star Exterminators can help you become pest-free today.
What Do Termite Swarmers Look Like?
One of the reasons it is important to seek professional pest control in New Braunfels when it comes to termites is because termite colonies are massive. Without professional assistance, it can be nearly impossible to exterminate them on your own.
Like ants, termites rarely travel alone and are likely to be found in swarms:
- Where to find termite swarms: One of the first signs of termites can be a swarm erupting from the darkness, seeking a light source. These termites, called alates, seek out light sources and can be found heading towards a lamp or other source of light.
- When you are more likely to see termite swarms, they will swarm at different times depending on what kind of termite infestation you have. If they are drywood termites, you will notice them coming out in swarms in the late summer, early fall months. If subterranean termites are present, they are likely to come out during the peak of summer.
- Why termites swarm: If you find termites swarming, this is a sign that your infestation is severe. Termites only swarm when their colony has reached a certain size, and the weather conditions become optimal for them to take flight. Unfortunately, this might be one of the first signs of termites you find as a homeowner, but it means a destructive colony has already established itself within the boards of your home.
Termite Swarmers Could Be The First Warning Sign
As stated earlier, termite swarmers could be the first sign of an infestation. When it comes to an understanding of why professional help is needed for termite infestations, it is important to understand the life cycle of these pests:
- Termite eggs: Like all insects, termites start in eggs. Usually, the queen lays the eggs, which are white and extremely small.
- Nymphs: When the termite eggs hatch, the larvae come forward, and we call those ‘nymphs.’ As nymphs grow, they will molt, shed their skins, and grow into whichever adult form the colony needs at the time.
- Castes: The unique thing about termites is their colonies consist of social castes, which include worker termites, soldiers, and reproductive termites. Entomologists are unsure how these roles are determined, but we know that adult termites can continue to grow and change to a different caste, depending on the colony’s needs.
How Long Do Termite Swarms Last
Termites will swarm for roughly 30 to 40 minutes. Because they are so dependent on the temperatures and environment being specific, if they do not find an adequate life source, the entire swarm will die off within a few hours. The need for darkness and specific environmental factors makes them very difficult to detect, and the heat and darkness provided inside wooden beams make it easy for them to survive.
How Do You Get Rid Of Termite Swarmers?
If you have run into a swarm of termites in your New Braunfels home, it is time to call a professional. Termites only swarm when their colony has reached a large enough size, meaning that if they are swarming in your home, the colony in your wooden boards and beams is already well-established. The damage they have caused at that point might be irreparable. However, on the chance your home can be saved from these pests, Gold Star Exterminators is here to help. Our expert technicians have 30 years of experience identifying and treating termite infestations in the New Braunfels area. They are armed with the skills and tools required to safely and effectively exterminate entire termite colonies, using means not readily available to the general public. We understand how important it is that your home remains a place of security. Don’t let termites take that away from you. If you suspect a termite infestation in your home, contact us today!